Celebrating Life since 1897
Offutt AFB cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries belonging to the Air Force and is currently categorized as a Closed Government Cemetery (not accepting new reservations). However, existing reservations will be honored in addition to specific circumstances outlined in the FAQs below. Offutt’s cemetery has over 860 total gravesites, over 820 gravesites filled, and over 750 markers.
Offutt AFB cemetery was initially established in 1897 with the burials of Evelyn Thompson, infant daughter of Musn Thompson (22nd Infantry). Since then, there have been many burials recorded here, including over 50 children of military personnel. Offutt AFB Cemetery is unique as it is one of only five Air Force installations with a designated cemetery. The other four cemeteries are located at United States Air Force Academy, Fairchild AFB, FE Warren AFB, and Volk Field. Only one of those five (US Air Force Academy) is considered Active. It is an honor and a privilege to celebrate the life of those who served and their loved ones.
The most recent burials took place in 2021. Each year during Memorial Day, the 55th Wing Commander, along with the Air Force Association (AFA), places flags to honor those who have passed. Additionally, each December, Wreaths Across America places wreaths on each headstone in remembrance those who are buried there.
Floral and Wreath Tributes at Gravesites
- Fresh cut flowers or artificial flowers may be placed on gravesites.
- Permanent flower containers are not authorized for placement.
- Planting of flowers, shrubs, etc. is prohibited.
- At the discretion of the cemetery, floral items will be removed from gravesites as soon as they become faded and unsightly.
- Potted plants are permitted seven days before and seven days after Easter Sunday.
- Wreaths are permitted during the holiday season ( December 1 through January 31).
- Grave blankets and Christmas trees are prohibited.
- Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: ammunition, alcohol, knives or sharp objects, statues, vigil lights, flags, glass objects of any nature (i.e. vases) and any types of commemorative items- except for U.S flags placed on gravesites by government employees for Memorial Day.
- Affixing or attaching any item to a headstone is prohibited
- Items left at gravesites will be collected and disposed of to facilitate normal cemetery maintenance such as mowing.
Feedback, Inquiries and Questions
To leave feedback for the Cemetery Responsible Officer, request past or future burial information or to ask any questions pertaining to the Offutt AFB Cemetery, please email 55FSS.FSOX.MortuaryAffairs@us.af.mil or call 402-294-5894.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get buried in there?
To determine eligibility, please contact the Cemetery Responsible Officer at Offutt AFB (402-294-5894).
Can I keep my family’s Headstone if it is replaced?
No. The VA only authorizes one headstone for the member. Any damaged or worn headstones that need to be replaced will be removed and properly disposed of.
How do I go see my family member if I do not have base access?
Contact the Pass and ID section (402-294-8979) to coordinate your access to the base. You will need the valid driver’s license for each person coming onto the base so your names can be cleared by Security Forces Squadron.
How many People are buried there?
There are over 820 people who have been laid to rest here and there are currently over 750 gravesites.
How old is the Cemetery?
125 years old (it was established in 1897)
If my family member passed and had a reservation, how do I get them buried in your cemetery?
Let the funeral director know your family member had a reservation in the cemetery and have them contact the Cemetery Responsible Officer at Offutt AFB (402-294-5894). She/He will confirm the reservation and coordinate the funeral time and date.
Who maintains the cemetery?
The 55th Civil Engineering Squadron (CES) maintains the grounds and Map. The Cemetery Responsible Officer maintains the history, plot information, and headstones.
Have more Questions? Contact us!
Cemetery Responsible Officer (CRO): 402-294-5894
CES - Ground Maintenance: 402-232-7223
Pass and ID: 402-294-8979